Navigation structure updates (as discussed Aug 20)
Yesterday we talked about the navigation structure and presentation of it. We came to the following navigation structure:
Submitted by Elmer van Chastelet on 21 August 2015 at 08:49
- A course has a tree of assignments
- Breadcrumbs reflect this structure and are chosen to be the navigation element to go up one/more levels in the tree
- The last node in the breadcrumb is the title of the currently viewed assignment in the tree. Upper levels are displayed in small font above the bigger title (header)
- Each assignment can be viewed in different modi (
submission(default for students)
stats(current statistics without the students list)
- Dates and stats on the left, global statistics table on the right (the table that is now shown when viewing an assignment collection.
view assignment(default for observers), which shows the assignment in read only mode
edit assignment(for managers/lecturers only)
answer(available when published)
students(for managers/lecturers). This is the list of students enrolled in the course, the table currently shows under statistics
- An appropriate widget should be used as mode switcher, placed together with the breadcrumb forming “the navigation element”
- The structure of URLs are to be changed to reflect the principles described above:
main url c. code edition page number view mode + additonal params for submission mode
- An assignment link without mode is used to communicate the assignment link, and will redirect students to the submission mode address. Managers are redirected to the stats view mode.
Since you are working on this now: When we have different editions of the same course running in parallel, it would be very helpful to distinguish editions in the breadcrumbs. Currently, breadcrumbs include the course name, but not the edition.
Log in to post comments